Wednesday 14 October 2015

Army match 1 Bishops Cannings - Dead stretch again and change of mind

Well should I stay or should I go still not 100% and with no Brian Shutler to nurse maid me I set out with trepidation.  Least it was closish to home , if I didn't feel well I could go home.  Besides couldn't let my mentor John Yoda Dewberry down (I'm in his team) and or my guest for the day Ian Spanners Spanswick. Spanners and I had to fly the Pewsey flag proudly after all.

Couldn't remember the way there, but someone suggested I use a TOM TOM, I couldn't remember what a TT was but my wife dug it out and we went through the instructions in the hope it would trigger some memories . It did that was last night, by the morning I couldn't remember how to connect it in the van. So decided to chance it and get underway. Got lost by turning off at Netheravon, but by the time I got back to main road 3 cars went by with fishing kit in so guessed they were going to same place and followed them  Result!!  One of them was Dave George;  John D's guest for the day and we had arrived at the Crown pub draw venue.

I hoped breaky would get rid of the slow walking through treacle feeling, so I was all over the fry up like a Tramp on chips.  The food helped and I was pleased to be able to put names to more faces than I thought.  It was good to see Lee Knight, Chris Glover and many others.

So to the draw and as I had drawn like Picasso for the team last year, I was nominated again.  By the time we drew the end pegs and fliers had gone, so I drew us mid section positions not good on a canal.

For me it truly was midsectionblues drawing dead centre of the 15 man section and centre of what is commonly known as the dead stretch over the swing bridge and turn left.  I needed to be near the swing bridge or the far end peg 15 to have a chance.

So I walked past Rocky and Mick Craddock near the bridge and trudged disconsolately to the peg you see below.  Eddy Edwards from the A team was on my right with the famous rushes and dead tree to fish too, so it was only getting worse; and just to finally crush any hope Craig Bate and other quality anglers, Neil Gaff etc were in my section.

That's the thing with Army matches, you have to work at it to just to get 4th or 5th in section sometimes.

So in exchange for a few caster Eddy(as he had waders) helped me level my platform and we set about the day.  I still can't remember what my normal set up system is so I was a little disorganised but I got there.

My plan was to fish punch and pinkie, but the colour wasn't right. In addition Eddy had hinted that during practise sessions for this match caster had done well for him.  Top that with my peg not being a good one I thought about choppy worm for bonus fish as any fish would be good on this hard stretch.

It appeared I had lost my choppy scissors, I had them this morning I am sure because they were in my worm kit when I gave John some worm. But they were gone now which made chopping up worm hard with a tiny pair of rig scissors. (found them in my goretex jacket pocket when i got home)

The match started and I envied the volume of features anglers had either side of me, plus they had sunlit canal I was literally in the shade and cold.

Guy on my left started the match by lobbing in three big balls of ground bait, and by the time I had finished trickling stuff in he was into his first skimmer.  Followed by what looked like a good hybrid Roach  of at least a pound! Bloody hell I thought I being smashed and we are only ten minutes in.  It was twenty minutes before I got a bite and I was well behind as Eddy and Craig were already slipping the landing nets out.

Oh my god I am being beaten up here, should I ball in ground bait like the guy to my right? or should I stick with the plan - which was bread punch and pinkie. So a change of mind and tactics.   I ditched the bread line and went over the choppy.  3 quick Perch around 2 oz a piece, and then nothing.  Least I was off the mark.

I decided to set up an entirely different line and fish caster like Eddy had practised , so one small ball of ground bait on the 3/4 line just up the slope dozen caster and caster on hook.  They didn't seem to want the darker caster, but did want the lighter ones.  So I decided to dig out the 50 or so bronze maggots left over from the river on Sunday.

I didn't look back it was one a chuck for an hour before it died again.  Despite the good starts either side of me, I felt I had drawn level at least.  A couple of boats through forced me across to the 2 foot line. Which resulted in a run of small Roach and Gudgeon.  Then that line became unfishable as the freshening wind had deposited a leafy soup on the surface.

It was a case of pulling back a bit for the 3/4 line and trying to scratch "em" out and when the wind made a gap in the far side leaves quickly dropping in over the baited 2 foot line and sneaking half a dozen fish before the leaves closed in again.  It took a great deal of deliberate concentration to get through the day and once again like Sunday mid match I became very sleepy. But a tablet leg stretch and quick pee kept me on my game.

I wasn't sad to see the end I had worked at it but it was a scratching grind, just hope I hadn't let the team down.  The net looked slightly better than I had thought and I don't think I could have got much more out of such a bleak swim - so did as well as could be expected.  No excuses, only lost one fish on a snapped 0.6 hook length.

A Section results sheet first; and my mate Ian (also mid section peg) had hoisted the Pewsey flag high by winning the section good on him.  With Nomads A Ivan second

B section next from the Bridge Pub up to the swing bridge.  Good weights in this section clearly the section to catch fish. Quick mention for another mate Lee Knight back on the bank after a break this Sensas Nomads lad has not forgotten how to fish.  But today with B section producing good weights there is no justice for my Mate John D 3 kilo 630 and 4TH in match but no pick up!!

B17 and 18 by the swing bridge once again producing as expected.  Well done and thank you to Ben Bentley as well for cutting out the swims and pegging to use the modern vernacular - Legend.

Finally my section, section C.

Thankfully I had scratched enough for good points for the team and picked up for second in section behind Mick Craddock. Have a nice warm feeling as well at pipping so many quality anglers.

A good day. I managed to get through another match, more memories came back on how to fish.  Spanners and I flew the Pewsey flag proudly and my Team Nomads B WON THE DAY.

Back on the Thames this Sunday with next round of the Wx Winter League at Lechlade.  Can't recall but the landlady at the draw pub has some assets, I'm told.  I am sure it will all come flooding back on Sunday, if not oh well it will nice seeing them with fresh eyes.

Stretchy elastic and tight lines to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment